Building Inspections & Permits
The City of Thomaston is committed to maintaining quality neighborhoods and an excellent community environment which starts with insuring we have safe and healthy buildings in the community.
This department is tasked with the issuance of building permits, building plan reviews, and inspections.
The department also conducts Comprehensive Utility Turn-On Inspections which need to be completed before any utility services are provided to any customers within the city. If a utility turn-on inspection has been performed and approved within the past 24 months, a new inspection will not be required.
The City of Thomaston enforces all of the state minimum standard codes enumerated in O.C.G.A. § 8-2-20, specifically including those referred to in subdivisions (9)(B)(i):
- International Building Code (ICC);
- National Electrical Code (NFPA);
- International Fuel Gas Code (ICC);
- International Mechanical Code (ICC);
- International Plumbing Code (ICC) as amended by O.C.G.A. § 8-2-3;
- International Residential Code for One- and Two-Family Dwellings (ICC);
- International Energy Conservation Code (ICC);
- International Fire Code (ICC);
- International Existing Building Code (ICC);
- International Property Maintenance Code (ICC);
- Any other codes deemed appropriate by the board for the safety and welfare of Georgia's citizens of such section, are hereby adopted as codes of the city, including the amendments thereto made from time to time, in accordance with the provisions of O.C.G.A. § 8-2-23.
And City of Thomaston Ordinances.
Building Inspection Request Form
Building Inspections Permits, Codes, Fees, & Forms
The City of Thomaston code enforcement officers enforce codes/ordinances in relation to property maintenance, nuisance properties, abandoned vehicles, and unpermitted or abandoned signs. The goal of the code enforcement officers is to obtain voluntary compliance, however our officers will issue citations and court summons for violations as necessary. Officer Robbins and Officer Williams are tasked with the duties of this division.